Monday 28 April 2014

Would You?

Good afternoon to all my family & friends spread out all over this wonderful planet we call it home. I hope the Spring sunshine is warming your souls and refreshing your spirits after what has seemed like an endless winter. (at least here in Canada!)

It's been glorious to wake to the sounds of the chickadees chirping and robins singing in my yard! This weekend it was so sweet to see bunch of little things sparrows fluttering in the birdbath just outside my living room window. My dogs were just going crazy knowing that they were so close yet unattainable! Ha!

My husband & I also celebrated our 23rd wedding anniversary this weekend. (I was a child bride! Ha!) I have officially been married longer than I have been single. What a crazy thought. I remember all the excitement before the wedding.. all the plans.. all our expectations for our future. And as I look back at that young bride and groom and what they had 'planned' for themselves, what they thought those wedding vows meant as they said them, I think to myself "Would I do it if I knew what was coming ahead?".

My husband & I had this conversation a few weeks ago, and it's interesting to REALLY think about it. Of course your immediate reaction is to say, "of course I would!!". But I threw in a curve ball as we discussed it. I said to him what if we saw all the stuff ahead of us... the good, the bad, celebrations, sadness... everything that picking the journey with that partner would entail. You can't change any of it. You just have a heads up.

He said then you could be better prepared for the hard stuff. But what if you live WAITING for the hard stuff. You KNOW it's coming... you were warned when you 'signed' on. I said maybe if you saw all the hard stuff coming (financial struggles, sickness...) you might say that life path with that partner will be too hard and you will keep searching for that elusive 'perfect' person.

It was an interesting conversation and the options were endless. By the time I had finished irratating him with the 'what ifs' we had had a pretty good debate. Ha! One thing we did agree on though. Everyone has days where they think that they should have done something different with their lives, but in the end, we all celebrate life's successes & support each other during hard times. Some of our wedding vows are truly put to the test, while others are as easy to do as the first day we said them.

Would I pick this journey again...?
Absolutely! It's been quite a ride!

No comments:

Post a Comment